Friday, July 18, 2014

Downtown San Jose

Hola again from Costa Rica! I've decided that I will try to post every other day due to my lack of time. I also don't want to bore anyone with the mundane tasks I do every day. Yesterday, I had my first oral exam. Of course I was the first person in the class to go so that was a little nerve wrecking. I ended up not doing too bad. It could have been a lot worse. I tried to watch Netflix, but the show I wanted to watch is not available out of the U.S. I am in class for six hours a day, but since my morning class ends at noon and the other one doesn't start until 7 PM, I have a lot of free time. I'm disappointed in myself for not bringing enough shorts and t-shirts to work out in. The ones that I did bring I wear to sleep in or to the beach. Honestly, I thought that I brought all the right clothes. I did bring many important and useful items. One thing I didn't need to bring was rain boots. I haven't worn them once. It doesn't even rain that much here, but everyone made it seem like it did. A light rain jacket and a small umbrella are good enough. I finished my written Spanish test two hours before class is usually over so it was nice to have a little break.

A flower I found while walking in my neighborhood
Some of the people in my program and I decided to go explore downtown San Jose today. We had been there once before on our second day in Costa Rica. The walk downtown isn't very far, but I am leery of walking by myself and getting lost. I thought it would be a better idea to go along with others, especially people who are nearly fluent in Spanish. Instead of walking we decided to ditch the 30 minute walk and take a taxi. We ate lunch outside in a hotel restaurant which was very nice. I had a focaccia, which was basically flatbread with rosemary. It was simple but tasty. Then we went to an ice cream place called "Pops". I had dulce de leche and chocolate chip in a cone. I do love my ice cream. We checked out a museum where we got a student discount. Then, we went to the artisan market in the middle of the city. There is everything from souvenirs to fresh meat from butchers at the market. It was definitely a cool place to see. I did not end up getting a t-shirt so I have to do that soon. Tomorrow we are off to see the Irazu Volcano and the Basilica de los Angeles. Until later.
Lettice, Bailey, me, & Layne at the Museums of the Central Bank & Pre-Colombian Art
Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment