Monday, July 21, 2014

Irazu Volcano, Basilica de los Angeles, & White Water Rafting

On Saturday, Bailey and I were at the university by 7 AM to get the bus for our trip to the Irazu Volcano and the Basilica de los Angeles. Our host parents told us the volcano would be cold (around 55 degrees Fahrenheit). Luckily, I wore jeans and a t shirt and had both a sweatshirt and waterproof rain coat. It ended up being about 40 degrees. We were all freezing but had a blast running around taking pictures. We went into a crater but didn't see much because of all the fog. Irazu is the tallest volcano in Costa Rica. The last time it was active was in the 1960s when President Kennedy came to visit Costa Rica. After our trek up the mountain to the volcano we headed down to the Basilica de los Angeles. It is the oldest working church in Costa Rica. It was a spectacular sight to see. There were so many people visiting and so many people praying and receiving holy water. On August 2nd of every year, Costa Ricans from all over the country make a pilgrimage to the basilica. Many travel by foot and some even travel on their knees to the church. For people who live far away, travel can take as long as a week or two. There are probably people walking already for August 2nd. When we were done visiting the church, we went to Sanchiri restaurant where we got some amazing pictures overlooking a valley. I was finally able to try tres leches cake which I have been wanting to taste since I got here.
Visiting the Irazu Volcano on a chilly day
Basilica de los Angeles

Sunday was a day of thrilling adventure. I went on an optional excursion to the Pacuare River with some of the people in my program. We went white water rafting in the middle of the rainforest. I can't even describe how beautiful it was. There were waterfalls everywhere and we could see the clouds right above us. It was like a dream come true. The bird species is also incredible near the Pacuare. Rafting is quite exhausting if you ask me. I was very scared to go because I didn't want to fall out of the raft or get trapped underneath it. None us had ever gone white water rafting before. Our guide made it easy and fun. He was the only guide who let his rafters play "games". We got to stand up in the raft and sit on the edge of it. We were even able to get out of the raft and swim in the river. The only downside to going rafting was that I had to wear my tennis shoes and now they are still soaking wet. The trip was worth ever penny I paid for it. The Pacuare River is the fifth best place in the world to go white water rafting! If you ever get the chance, come check it out.
Getting hit by the waterfall

Rafting group!

No comments:

Post a Comment