Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Found Peanut Butter!

Yesterday was a usual day of classes for me. I did a presentation in my Spanish class about my family at home and my Tico family here in Costa Rica. It went well except it is hard for me to tell the difference between the two "be" verbs in the Spanish language. I have my first exams this week! I also went to the super market again with my floor mate and some other girls in my program. We took about a 15 minute walk to get there and got a taxi for the ride home. I was craving peanut butter as were my friends. I love peanut butter and anything with peanuts in it so much. The six dollars for a jar was definitely well spent! In fact, I also purchased a small bag of honey roasted peanuts and a pack of peanut butter m&ms. Today in class, I was able to write a whole paragraph about my community at home. I can't believe I am already able to write sentences in Spanish. Writing has always been easier than speaking in a foreign language for me. Regardless, I think my skills are improving! I am learning a new language for the fun of it since I will just be receiving extra credits for the class and not any major class credits. However, I am grateful for this opportunity to study something new through my scholarship and happy that I know a little bit of two different foreign languages. My Human Rights in Latin America class does actually count for credits in my criminal justice program at Thiel so I am thankful for that.
Couldn't resist it!

One of my goals coming here was to volunteer in some way and preferably with children. I am still trying to completely seek out that opportunity but it seems as though I have been given a possible connection. By coming here, I also wanted to be guided on a potential career path. I have not a clue what I want to do when I graduate, and it scares me because I am a planner. I received so much support and prayers before I came, and I am so thankful for all of them. I know my parents were nervous when I told them I was studying abroad in Costa Rica. It wasn't something I asked permission to do either. They haven't and won't pay a cent for any part of the trip (except the $30 my mom voluntarily gave me in a cute airplane card.) My boyfriend has also been so supportive. It was hard leaving everyone behind but my journey has been absolutely worthwhile so far. I can't believe it's nearly 35% over. My plans for this weekend should be a blast! More to come within the next few days. Until then.
The card my mom gave me before I left



Pura Vida. (Definitely have to get a shirt that says pura vida before I leave.)

No comments:

Post a Comment