Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mouth-watering Baked Goods

Every day I wake up here and the weather is phenomenal. Sometimes it's even too hot. I still love it though. I'm continuing to work on my souvenir shopping and trying to find some more t shirts. My time here is already more than halfway over. It has gone by so fast. My host family has been wonderful and so understanding even when I can only say basic words and phrases. I don't think that I will ever get used to the overload of carbohydrates every day. That is one of the only things I wish I could change and that my class was earlier in the day instead of late at night when it's dark outside. I've been working on trying to walk around more and get some exercise. I don't want to run during the day because we aren't really supposed to use the shower during the day. I think it's only because the water will be cold, but I'm not certain.

On Monday afternoon, I went to the little corner store and bought some more toothpaste and shampoo. A tiny bottle (about 5 or 6 oz.) of Head N Shoulders was nearly $5. Some products are outrageously expensive here. I also got plantain chips and coconut cookies. The cookies are really yummy, and I hope to bring some home with me. I have no idea how I'm going to fit all of my stuff in my luggage on the way back. I've been doing a lot of homework lately. My elective class is pretty intense although it's not difficult. Many of the assignments are just time consuming.Tuesday, I went with Bailey to a little cafe called "Whisk". It was very delicious and I will most definitely be going back. The woman who owns it speaks English and so it is so much more convenient for me. She and her husband both work there. She's originally from the states but moved to Costa Rica when she was younger and married a Tico. Anyways, Bailey and I shared a turkey and cheese sandwich and got dessert to go along with it. Bailey usually gets their sweet bread. I decided to get a cinnamon roll but it wasn't like your usual cinnamon roll. It was more of a muffin and it came with icing. It was delectable and just melted in my mouth. They even have nutella filled goodies. I can't wait to try some!
Delicious Cinnamon Roll/Muffin

Fresh Fruit!

Today, my Spanish class took a field trip to the Basilica and central market in Cartago. It was my second time seeing the Basilica, and I got some better pictures because there were less people. There was also a mass about to start so we got to see the Priest put holy water on people. The market had an unbelievable amount of fresh food and produce. The fruit looked amazing although I didn't buy any because we wanted to look around at some other shops. We did get ice cream again today! I had a vanilla cone dipped in chocolate and covered with peanuts. I haven't had a dip cone in a long time. I am pretty excited because my night class got canceled this evening. I'm hoping to get to bed early because we have to be up at 3 in the morning to leave for Bocas del Toro, Panama tomorrow. I'll be traveling to my second foreign country! Until Sunday or Monday's post about Panama.

Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment